The eyesight requirements for the role of a Firefighter are;
- Uncorrected vision of 6/18, 6/24 or better.
- Corrected acuity should be a minimum of 6/7.5 in the best eye, with worst eye at least 6/12.
- The ability to read N6 at 30cm (under 25 years) or N12 at 30cm (25 years and over) unaided binocularly.
- No history of night blindness.
- Normal vision fields to confrontation in both eyes
- Acceptable colour vision defined as no more than 2 errors on Ishihara plate test.
- Minor colour vision defects may be acceptable subject to the results of specialist testing.
- Candidates who have had laser correction surgery can cannot be progressed until a period of 12 months has passed and will require a full specialist report to confirm that there is no evidence of any complications that would impair safe or effective working.
- Other eye disorders will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
If you have any doubts that you can meet the eyesight requirements above, we strongly recommend that you book an appointment with an optician to seek their professional opinion.Unfortunately, if there are any costs involved with the completion of the required eyesight reports this will not be compensated by SFRS.