He began his career as a teacher of mathematics, moving to ICT as improvements in technology provided opportunities to develop innovative approaches.
He spent more than ten years in senior roles in education that included being Head of a group of schools, Local Authority Head of Education and Professional Advisor to the Scottish Government Education Department. Since 2007, Malcolm has worked independently, supporting education system development in the UK, Middle East and Asia. His main interest is in how the symbiotic relationship between strategy and operational practice can best be leveraged to deliver sustainable change.
Malcolm also helps lead local youth groups. He is a Trustee of Capability Scotland and of Scotdec, which promotes the UN Sustainable Development Goals in education.
- People Committee
- Audit and Risk Assurance Committee
Register of interests
Information on the exact nature of the requirement under each category can be found in the Code of Conduct for Board Members of the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service.
- Director, e3net Limited, Consultancy company
Houses, Land and Buildings
Shares and Securities
- Honorary Member of the Rotary Club of Dunbar
- Elder (Trustee) of Belhaven Parish Church, part of the Church of Scotland
- Trustee of Scotdec, a charity that promotes the UN Sustainable Development Goals in Education
- Trustee of Capability Scotland
- Director of Kings Meadow Development Association Dunbar Limited