One of our primary functions is ‘rescue’ and when we respond to road traffic collisions our highly trained crews have the skills to free people who have become trapped within their vehicles, using specialist cutting equipment.
Our firefighters are also trained to provide potentially life-saving first aid at the scene of road traffic collisions.
We work with a broad range of partner agencies including Police Scotland, Scottish Ambulance Service and local councils to deliver road safety education and advice to help people reduce their risk of being involved in an RTC.
There are many factors that can impact on your driving such as becoming distracted, drink driving or due to bad weather.
- Using a mobile phone that isn’t hands-free whilst driving is illegal. Even if you’re using hands-free, talking on a mobile is distracting – we’d recommend that you turn it off or put it on silent, and put it out of reach
- Just drive – eating, drinking and smoking whilst driving reduces your reaction time
- Set your sat nav or your sound system before you drive. If you need to adjust them, pull over in a safe place
- Always wear your seatbelt and make sure that your passengers do too
- Your braking distance is affected by weather conditions. If it’s been raining or the roads are icy, reduce your speed
Working together to keep Scotland safe
There are a range of resources online to find out more about staying safe on the road:
- Don’t Risk It – information about driver fatigue, motorbikes, drink driving, country roads, children in the car and seatbelts
- Road Safety Scotland – promotes safer road use in Scotland. Also visit the Education and Families for a series of resources suitable for 3-18 year-olds
- Go Safe with Ziggy – resources for teaching children about road safety
- Klang – road safety app and lot’s more for 8-11 year-olds.
- Transport Scotland – The national transport agency for Scotland, delivering the Scottish Government's vision for transport
- The Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) – information on post-test advanced training for drivers and riders.